Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Athens: Feels Like You Are in a Time Machine

It’s time for Greece. Athens, the capital of civilization. This enormous city is full of history, monuments, good food and amazing people that you’ll leave hoping to go again one day. The city is really big and there are monuments, museums to see all over the city. I suggest a priority list while wondering in the city  I would like to thank my dear friend Katerina for being my local guide during my stay. I was fascinated by the places she took me and I wouldn’t be able to discover on my own. As usual I will skip the most known sight seeing places hence they are already a must see.

The first suggestion is to walk in Anafiotika. This place located in the slopes of Acropolis isn’t discovered by the tourists yet. Reaching here is easy when you start walking to Acropolis from Monastraki square just follow the narrow streets that are going up.

An ancient church located in Monastraki Square

You walk, climb stairs on these tiny streets between white houses with different colored shatters, blue, green, pink, purple. It feels so cozy so warm that you feel like you are in an island. And that feeling is right because this site was first resided by Anafi in 1800s who came from Cycladic island to Athens as construction workers.

Narrow streets & stairs

One of the houses in Anafiotika

When you reach the top be aware of a breathtaking view. The view is composed by the archeological part near Acropolis, Acropolis itself, the new city and Mount Lycabettus. Here you may find some locals enjoying the view with a bottle of wine, beer. 

The View of Athens

You can go back down from the same way or you can go down from the other side. One way or another you will end up somewhere near Acropolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment